Australian Government Solar Rebates/Incentives
There are a number of State and Federal Government Rebates & Incentives Australians can access to save on their solar installations.
Currently, NSW, VIC, ACT and SA have their own respective Rebates/Incentives providing that you meet the eligibility criteria. Keep in mind that these programs will conclude once their respective quotas have been met.
For more information, follow the provided links to the relevant government websites.
Program: Small-scale Renewable Energy Scheme (STC’s)
Location Available: QLD, NSW, ACT, VIC, WA, NT, TAS
Type: Federal Rebate
About: The Australian Federal government is providing this financial incentive for individuals and small businesses to install eligible small-scale solar (PV) systems. This is achieved through Small-scale Technology Certificates, or STCs for short, that are calculated based on the amount of electricity produced by the system. The level of this benefit differs across the country depending on the level of solar energy.
- Solar Systems up to 99kW in total size
- System meets professional compliance
Program: Solar Panel Rebate
Location Available: VIC
About: The Victorian state government is providing a rebate of up to $1,888 for solar panel (PV) system installation, for eligible homeowners and rental properties. To further reduce installation costs, householders can apply for an interest-free loan, for an amount equivalent to their rebate amount. The loan is required to be repaid over four years.
- Must be the owner/occupier of the property
- have a combined household taxable income of less than $180,000 per year (based on last year’s Australian Tax Office Notice of Assessment)
- it is an existing property, valued at under $3 million
- do not have an existing solar PV system*
Program: Next Generation Energy Storage (Next Gen)
Location Available: ACT
About: The ACT Government is supporting up to 5,000 battery storage systems in ACT homes and businesses. The current rebate is $825 per kilowatt (kW) up to a maximum of 30 kW. A standard household with a 5kW system would typically be eligible for around $4,000 in support.
- be a new system that has not already been supported by the program
- be connected to the electricity grid
- be coupled with solar panels
- include a new or existing inverter that meets the Next Gen requirements.**
Program: South Australia Home Battery Scheme
Location Available: SA
About: The South Australian Government is providing a subsidy for 40,000 households to help pay for the installation of home battery systems. This is available to all South Australians and calculated on the kilowatt hour capacity of the battery purchased. Furthermore, Energy Concession Holders are eligible for a higher subsidy, ensuring low-income households are supported to access the Scheme.
- South Australian resident
- Residential properties only
- Applicant must be the owner of the property or have consent from the owner to install
- Energy concession recipients are eligible for a higher subsidy amount per kwh of battery capacity installed
- Credit approval